3rd Annual Get Your Fit On! • October 20, 2012
Get Your Fit On! was successful and took the annual event in new directions! Kids had the opportunity to try new fitness activities and learn innovative ways to eat healthy. Every child received a recipe booklet, jump rope and goody bag. By participating in all of the fitness centers, kids could win a bike, scooter, or skateboard.
We had 18 different fitness and nutrition centers for the kids:
- Football with Manatee High School
- Golf with University Park Country Club
- Tennis with University Park Country Club
- Obstacle Course with Children's Therapy Solutions, Inc.
- Baton Twirling with Bradenton Twirling Academy
- Bounce House with Pirate City
- Speed Pitch with Pirate City
- Strong Man with Immortal Strength Training
- Yoga with Well-rounded Fitness
- Manatee County Natural Resources Department
- Track with Florida Express Track Club
- Volleyball with Bradenton Christian School
- Critter Crunch Recipe
- Make a Healthy Plate
- How Much Salt? Fat? Sugar?
- Draw a Healthy Snack
Enjoy our photos from the event on facebook!
Why do we host Get Your Fit On?
Florida ranks 35th in overall prevalence with 33.1% of children considered either overweight or obese. The Florida prevalence of overweight and obese children has risen since 2003.¹ By hosting Get Your Fit On!, a FREE fun-filled day of fitness and nutrition, Junior League of Manatee County hopes to help reverse the rise of childhood obesity in Florida.
The Junior Leagues’ Kids in the Kitchen initiative is a response to the alarming statistics that nearly one-third of children and adolescents in the United States are overweight or at risk of becoming overweight.²
¹ Data Source: 2007 National Survey of Children’s Health. Data analysis provided by the Child and Adolescent Health Measurement Initiative, Data Resource Center. http://www.childhealthdata.org/
² Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA
A Big Thank You To Pittsburgh Pirates, Bradenton Marauders & Pirate City!
Click here to see the show on Get Your Fit On! by METV (Manatee Educational TV).